Where is the Table of Contents?

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:00 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2009 at 2:09 AM
I was just about ready to hit "Print" when I realized this document does not have a table of contents!  What's up with that?!?  Am I really the first person to report this on this forum?  And why isn't the chapter name - or at least the number - somewhere in the header of footer?  That would help know where you are as you flip through the book trying to find things.

Are these things that added and re-published?  I wish I had noticed these things when it was still in beta.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jan 31, 2009 at 6:01 AM
Hi Jeff.

That's true that we don't have a Table of Contents in the beginning of the PDF. For the PDF the bookmarks are the TOC, as I'm sure you already know.  We intend to put out a professional printed version out, which of course will have a TOC, index and proper headings.  It'll be some months before the book, so if this is a big problem for people, please comment this thread.

And actually, you are the first person who's reported this as a problem Jeff. It was this way in the BETA as well.  

I was trying to see if there is a tool out there that would give you a TOC automatically.

If you had to choose one, what's going to be most helpful-  a TOC or headers and footers on the various chapters. 

Rob
Feb 2, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Excellent read so far, but i agree...Though we'll all 'consider' the environment prior to printing, this book is geared towards a shelf that is to be referenced or to be passed to when a junior team member is hired (me!).

A TOC would go a long ways (footers with chapter and chapter section is ideal, too).

Thanks!

Keith Robideau
Feb 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I completely agree with the others. Our office clerk went to the trouble of printing and hole punching 387 pages to put this in a binder for me before I realized that it doesn't have a TOC. What a waste!

Folks, please realize that it's a lot to ask of people to read a 387 page PDF document in front of their computer monitor. A work of this size is much more "user friendly" in print version.